Pages

Sunday 25 February 2018

MIT-2018: Challenging My Thinking
























An Achievement Challenge identified by the Manaiakalani Community of Learning is the need to lift achievement in Maths for all students in Years 1-13. This is the challenge I have selected for my Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher inquiry during 2018. My initial thoughts were that I would approach this challenge by creating a toolbox of rewindable, visible video resources to support student understandings about number strategies and Maths concepts in a Manaiakalani context. However, as we begin to explore Dr Bobbie Hunter's DMIC approach to teaching and learning in Maths at Pt England, I have been challenged in my thinking to change, alter and expand how I might approach accelerating achievement in Maths for my Year 4 and 5 learners. After a "Crazy 8s" design thinking activity, the following graphic shares how much my thinking has shifted:

3 comments:

  1. It is fabulous to see people getting stuck into meeting the challenges of Maths achievement. I hadn't really though of the idea of encouraging learners through role models and Whanau sharing how the use maths in their lives. Good luck I'm looking forward to following this inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your support and encouragement, Dave. It will be an interesting journey of discovery!

      Delete
  2. You have maximised the opportunity to expand your thinking over the past few days Jackie. I will be interested to see how you develop the original idea you came with and these other tangents you have been exploring as the reality of being back in a class this week adds yet another lens to your thinking.

    ReplyDelete